I don't know if I can call this an accomplishment, but I have been able to crash firefox in a consistent repeatable manner by following a sequence of steps. The test case goes like this:
- Start Firefox - Open firefox. I have 2-3 live bookmarks one of which is My reading list on google reader, now when I initially launch firefox this live bookmark doesn't load as i need to sign into my google account through any of google services.
- Log into gmail - My usual routine, I log into gmail to check my mail.
- Reload live bookmark - After logging in I reload the google reader, my reading list live bookmark. It loads, no hitches.
- Visit problem item - This is where the problem is, I click on the item that leads to this link on lifehacker. After a few status messages on the status bar, FREEZE.
Then i get the mozilla talk back screen asking me to report the problem, which I did giving full detail. I also get the Windows Vista dialog saying "This program has stopped responding".
An interesting thing to note is that the bar on the bottom right corner that normally shows progress in terms of page loading doesnt appear. I dont know if its relevant or not, thats how it is.
- I have the following add-ons installed - Chatzilla 0.9.79, del.icio.us Bookmarks 1.5.44, DOM Inspector v1.8.10, Firebug 1.05, Indic IME 1.6.3 (disbaled), Talkback 2.0.10
- The problem is limited to this profile. I created a new profile (by running firefox -p) and added just my reading list live book mark and repeated the above steps. It runs without problems, so I am guessing some configuration in my profile is causing the problem.
- The problem does not occur if I click on any other item of the feed.
- Other details on my setup: OS: Windows Vista Home Premium, Firefox 2.0.10
If you can help please post a comment. I would be very happy to provide any additional details required. I have the dump generated by the talkback client which it sends back to mozilla.
- The problem is firebug 1.05 extension. I disabled that extensions and the crash did not happen.